Sunday, July 24, 2005

The last month has been pretty slow. After the rush of completing final semester project, then going through the chore of giving the exams.... life has been pretty slow. Though i have been out of staion already a couple of times i find myself with nothing to do and am looking forward to the day i can begin a new chapter in my life at iiit and my first experience of hostel life.

It has not been too long since i stopped going to MSRIT, but i already misss the place. Not because i loved the "education" imparted there, but for other reasons which i will elaborate soon.

Education must have two aspects embedded in it
1. Imparting knowledge
2. Building character to mould students into good citizens and human beings.

The "knowledge" aspect is what is empasised in most educational institutes.However, in my opinion the process of building character is much more important. We can aquire knowledge even without teachers(anyhow, that has been the case for the last 4+2 years--more self study than any class room teaching). What is regrettable is that these days the "teachers" are unable to impart knowlwdge let alone build the character of their wards.

Now that i have got that small rant on education out of the way, let me elaborate why i will/am missing MSRIT already. I never did hang out in the college canteen or other favoutite hangouts. However, one of the places in college that i will miss is the college library. Not because of the books ( i never read any of them completely anyway---the photo-copied stuff from Krishna Xerox was more than enough), but because the library gave me an opportunity to observe lots of people and learn a lot about human behaviour.

I will miss the hours of cricket we played on weekend's..
The endless battles for supremacy in Age of Empries(Conquerors)..the week long startegies..discussions.. only to get the better of the guys in the other section of the class [for the record..My class beat the other more often ]
The long winded discussions and arguments with some of my classmates on a wide ranging number of topics.

I will miss the ever present smile of MSS(J), the nonsensical talk of HOD, the inspirational speeches from KM.
I will also miss SL..(but for exactly opposite reasons as the others already mentioned ).
Most of all i will miss the three other members of The Fantastic Four.....Hari,Badari and Girish.Each of us is going our own way....IISc,Job,IIT......

If i never forget MSRIT, it will be because of all my friends there. I learnt more from them than possibly any sort of formal teaching could ever teach me.
I learnt from them the natural way. i.e watch - imitate -learn. I have watched a lot of really amazing people.......... I have picked up a few things from each of them (mostly unknown to them). I learnt to work hard, to Chill out, to work out a balance between my various activities.... i have benifitted immensely from all these people.

Now all these experiences of over 4 years will be memories which i will surely cherish. I am thankful that i have not made any enemies or hurt anyone's feelings during my time in MSRIT.I am sure i will be happy to meet up with all my classmates or teachers anytime in the future and i guess the feeling will be mutual.

Now it is time to move on............ new place, new challenges, new friends,new experiences...i hope it is as rewarding as the last few years have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment